Friday, May 7, 2010

Summer Goals.

Summer is fast approaching. Is anyone else shocked by how quickly this year has flown by? Sigh...

Due to work, my time will be split between Kansas City and my hometown, Columbia (which is about 2 hours east of KC). I'm thankful for this, as it presents the opportunity for me to stay connected with IHOP's community during the week, as well as get involved with the house of prayer back in Columbia over the weekends. I will also get to see my family and friends on a more consistent basis, too. The best of both worlds. :)

With the fullness of my new schedule, I thought it would be beneficial for me to make a list of things I'd like to accomplish this summer. It is so easy for me to set myself on cruise control in the midst of chaos, and then later regret my lack on intentionality.

Also, I just love making lists. They work really well for this quirky little personality of mine...


1. Pray ceaselessly. 
Intercession is the avenue to which I find my purpose, my pleasure and the fulfillment of every desire. 

2. Join a Bible study. 
Because I long to waste time mining the depth of God's Word amongst a like minded people. 

3. Memorize the Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5-7).
This is something I'm really looking forward to! A friend mentioned how her small group was doing this over the summer, and at her word, excitement grew to overflowing within me. This will be good...

4. Find a trail in the KC area.
This is something I've been wanted to do since I moved to Kansas City last August. I love to walk, hike and spend time on trails. Unfortunately, the only one I've found so far is known to be pretty shady. So, I continue my search. Optimistic? Always.

5. "Commandeer" a bike, and then ride it as much as possible.
I'm an avid bike lover; I have been all my life. Sadly, it's been years since I last enjoyed a bike ride. This has got to change, and fast! 

6. Avoid potential skin cancer at all costs by bathing my incredibly fair skin in SPF 85 every single day.
The story of my life. My dear mother has raised me to be extra mindful of my oh so fair complexion. No fake-n-bakin for this one. ;)

7. Satisfy my desire to learn more about the fascinating world of organic foods.
As my knowledge of the Temple of God grows, so does my desire to study the vitality of nutrition. "Why would I put something inside my body that pays me no benefit?" I've been asking myself. The make-up of creation intrigues me; God's design is perfect, and our bodies were made to work off of specific nutrients. So why fight the original blue prints? More to come on this...

8. Write, read, sketch and dance...a lot.
Just a few things that bring immense joy to my life. My goal is to intentionally pursue these hobbies, as opposed to simply falling into them when I need a little "pick me up."

9. Explore flea markets, farmer's markets, and rummage sales.
I totally agree with the old saying that "one man's trash is another man's treasure." I think that"gently used items" carry with them so much character and mystery that is hard to find in the wrapper. Plus, this scene is usually full of adventure, as you never really know how things will unfold. This is definitely something I enjoy doing with good friends.

10. Resist the familiar urge to despise small beginnings.
This is a discipline I am just now embracing. Better late than never, right? The only way I will accomplish this is through gazing upon His faithfulness and leaning into His righteousness. Grace, Lord! So much grace... 

11. Be intentional about getting to know the people around me.
I am very much a people person. For my personality, meeting new groups of people comes with a great deal of ease, for the most part. However, I've come to realize that over the past months I've made countless acquaintances, but very few solid friendships. And this is sad, considering the amount of time I've spent surrounded by such amazing people. One might think the ministry setting is just the place for budding acquaintances to blossom into beautiful friendships, but this hasn't been the case for me this year. Strange, isn't it? This is why my aim will be to intentionally pursue friendships, instead of mere acquaintances.

12. Learn to garden.
Gardens take my breath away. I've heard awesome testimonies of how the Holy Spirit pours out insane revelation in the midst of a garden. He would. ;)

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! Though I'm slightly jealous you'll be doing such exciting things without me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm slightly devastated that I'll be doing all these things without you. :)

    Seriously, I'm aching for a bike ride. You should come up and we'll go on one together! How awesome would that be?! :)

    I love you so much.

    Shalom, sista friend!

    ReplyDelete